Donald Trump will campaign in Toledo on July 27
Republican presidential candidate Donald trump will campaign in Toledo on Wednesday, July 27, at the Huntington Center. For tickets click here. Doors at the Huntington Center will open at 5:00 with Trump expected to speak at 8:00.
Sales Tax Holiday will be August 5-7
The sales tax holiday begins August 5-7 just in time for back to school. Ohio State Bill 264 will again allow people to purchase clothing, school supplies and instructional materials in this once a year exemption.
Here are some things to consider though when making a purchase – things allowed:
- Clothing priced at $75 per item or less;
- School supplies priced at $20 per item or less; and
- School instructional material priced at $20 per item or less.
Items used in a trade or business are not exempt under the sales tax holiday
For more news about the tax holiday click here.
Lucas County Canine Care & Control Has Month Long Adoption Special
Children Services hosts back-to-school drive
Summer is in full swing but it is never too early to start thinking about back to school. Buying supplies is the first step to getting ready which is why Lucas County Children Services (LCCS) is asking members of the community to help provide supplies for children in need.
Many of the families working with LCCS lack the resources to send their children to the first day of school with all the supplies they need. LCCS is collecting donations that will be distributed to the growing number of children in need of supplies. The next time you go to the store consider buying one or two items to donate.
Donations can be dropped off at Lucas County Children Services, 705 Adams St. (between Erie and Ontario Streets), downtown Toledo.
Be a foster parent
Are you someone who loves kids and wants to make a difference in a child’s life? If so, consider becoming a foster parent through Lucas County Children Services (LCCS). LCCS needs all kinds of individuals to care for all kinds of children, but has a particular need right now for families able to care for groups of brothers and sisters, and for caregivers experienced in working with children with developmental and behavioral challenges. To learn more about becoming a foster parent, call LCCS foster care recruiter Celine Woods at 419-213-3336.
Find Your Getaway with the 2016 Ohio Travel Guide
The 2016 Ohio Travel Guide is now available for digital download or as a print magazine. The 2016 guide has been modernized to better reflect the new Ohio. Find It Here. brand and create a more engaging and inspiring resource for travelers.
The 2016 Ohio Travel Guide and Spring/Summer Ohio Calendar of Events are available in print, free of charge, by visiting Ohio.org or calling 1-800-BUCKEYE. The digital edition of the guide (including the calendar) is available for download from Ohio.org
Holy Toledo LaughFest set for October
It's no joke, Toledo: get ready to laugh till your sides hurt during the first-ever Holy Toledo LaughFest. The month-long celebration of comedy includes acts at multiple venues across the Glass City. This community-wide festival will feature a diverse lineup of comedy heavyweights, stand-up geniuses, improvisational groups, local comedians and more!
>Participating venues include Stranahan Theater and Great Hall, Hensville, The Valentine Theatre, and Toledo Repertoire Theatre. The Holy Toledo LaughFest planning committee is made up of representatives from many local organizations and attractions and will be announcing more venues and shows in the coming months.
Here's the punch lineup card of the first acts to join the LaughFest:
- Chad Daniels • Friday, September 30 at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at The Armory at Hensville
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) • September 30, October 1, 6, 7, 8 at 8 p.m.; October 2 and 9 at 2:30 p.m. at the Toledo Repertoire Theatre
- Al Jackson • Saturday, October 1 at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at The Armory at Hensville
- Jackie Kashian • Friday, October 7 at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at Top of Nine at Hensville
- Jerry Seinfeld • Friday, October 7 at 7 p.m. at the Stranahan Theater
- Bobcat Goldthwait • Saturday, October 8 at 7 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. at Top of Nine at Hensville
- David Sedaris • Monday, October 10 at the Stranahan Theater
- 'A Night of Improv' at The Toledo Rep • Friday, October 14 at 8:00 p.m. at the Toledo Repertoire Theatre • Saturday, October 15 at 8:00 p.m. at the Toledo Repertoire Theatre
- 'Improv for Kids' Workshop • Saturday, October 15 at 12:30 p.m. at the Toledo Repertoire Theatre
Check out the new Holy Toledo Laugh Fest website (www.holytoledolaughfest.com) for the full list of festival shows and ticket information.